TopMenu

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Rise up Horizontally

I heard this story on NPR this morning.  It's about Parveen Rehman who was recently killed.  But the story wasn't about her death... it was about her life.  I think you should listen to the story to hear the smile in her determined voice. 

Lots of things reached out to me about her story.  That she laughed about everything and took a gentle but persuasive stance on challenges.  But mostly that Parveen walked out on a project building a hotel on her job with an architectural firm so that she could join a social organization that did something she believed in and would use her degree to empower that cause.  Parveen Rehman said that she believed that people should Rise up Horizontally.


That's the first time that I've heard that term - rise up horizontally.  It means that you should rise up - but bring others with you so that you rise up in a line, not like a sky scraper above others. 

It so eloquently puts into words that 'thing' I feel about sharing knowledge and understanding with the ones that want it.  What I know and what I have only serves my own aims unless I share it.  

There is absolutely nothing wrong or unhealthy about being selfish and we all share what we choose to share with others.  Some feel very private about their Work.  It's not everyone's Work to teach or to heal.  But it is my Work to teach and heal.  It's  my work to understand my challenges, my growth and the Mysteries and to share that path with others - to hopefully rise up horizontally, with others beside me.

I didn't know Parveen.  I know nothing of her life other than what I can read on the internet or what I heard in that broadcast.  But that little bit was such an inspiration because she WAS the change she wanted to see.  What is remembered lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment